Let’s keep Vancouver a “green” city!
Not only do we enjoy some of the most beautiful surroundings, but we are also a city of green and eco-conscious people. We strive as a city to use eco-friendly options whenever they’re available.
We at Affordable Quality Roofing have been part of the Vancouver community since 1986, and of course we share the eco-friendly sentiment.
No, we’re not going to pull out a djembi and sing cumbayah, but we will do our part and try help you make an educated decision on quality eco-friendly green roofs:
We would be remise to not mention that the offical meaning of “green roofing” is a building that employs a natural roof-top, like grass or some other ground-cover. This type of green roof is of course the most eco-friendly as it requires no oil-based materials. But the draw-back is the cost to build and implement such green roof. The fact that green roof is cost prohibitive means that you would usually only see green roof building methods implemented on commercial buildings.
- Cedar has natural insulating properties, reducing energy use
- Cedar is also a natural material from renewable resources
- Cedar can be used in place of oil based materials like asphalt shingles
- Cedar require fewer site visits
- Cedar is also lightweight and from local sources requiring little fuel-burning transportation
- Cedar requires few long-term maintenance visits
- Cedar also has a long life-span, reducing the use of fasteners. The average roof has 6,000+ fasteners.
- Cedar has natural anti-fungal properties, meaning no harsh chemicals are needed to protect it
- Cedar is a natural insect repelant, reducing the need for chemical treatments.
- Cedar weathers well in the storms and high-winds of the Vancouver area. Reducing the need for replacement with non-sustainable materials.
So there you have it Vancouver! Affordable Quality Roofing is your one stop shop for green roofs.